Happy Tuesday! I would love for you to “pack with me” and take a look at the gear I’m taking for my upcoming overnight trip.
My base weight varies between 11-15lbs depending on the length of the trip, before adding food, extra clothing, and water.
When I add those elements in, my full pack weight hovers between 17-25 lbs depending on the weather and length of the trip! When Turkey is backpacking with me we split the weight of a lot of our items so we are generally pretty comfortable when that’s the case.Here are the basic contents of my overnight pack – minus food, water & clothing.
1. My Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20* 850 down fill quilt. My favorite piece of gear (and probably the most expensive – worth EVERY penny!)
2. When I go backpacking and I’m not sharing a tent, out comes my Big Agnes FlyCreek UL1 (with footprint).
3. Nemo Fillo Elite Pillow. Don’t judge. I can’t sleep without a pillow!
4. Sea To Summit Ultralight Insulated sleeping pad. A million times yes for side/stomach sleepers!
5. Jetboil Flash with fuel canister.
7. From left clockwise:
Anker 20100mAh power bank to charge my phone. Heavy but necessary for my camera, Kindle app and music!
Lucilight solar-powered inflatable lantern.
A knife I carry just in case!
8. Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer puffy jacket. SO warm to sleep in as an extra layer at night, for keeping toasty by the fire or for using as an extra pillow.
9. Osprey Kestrel 48 pack. The perfect size for me up to 5 days. I don’t pack too much, ever! I love this backpack. Going on 2 years with it.
10. My Thru fanny! This little guy is a game changer. Easy access to my phone, snacks, hand sanitizer…anything I need to grab quickly without stopping. Better yet – it’s a small company and everything is handmade by hikers.
Note: 98% of everything I buy I get on sale, off season, on clearance or used.
Some of my favorite resources:
– Bearfoot’s Hiking Gear Flea Market on Facebook
– Backcountry.com – affordable items! Check daily or weekly.
– Campsaver.com – sign up for emails! They send codes out all the time.
– REI.com – I wait until they send out member coupons if I’ve been eyeing anything!
Your gear arsenal will take time to build. Keep in mind that it won’t be cheap if you want it lighter & if you want it to last a long time. I’ve changed and upgraded my gear at least 4-6 times in the last 2 years! You will always be working to find the best gear that works for you – but when you finally do it’s like the heavens shine down upon you and angels sing!
Backpacking to me has many layers of enjoyment. I love the nature and outdoor aspect. I love to set up my camp and make dinner after a long day. I love the exercise. The sense of accomplishment. The gear hunt. The gear talk. The views. The company. The adventure if you’re exploring somewhere new.
If you haven’t tried an overnight hike I highly suggest it. If you live near me, let me know and I would be happy to help you prepare or even come with you!
Thanks for following along today and every day!
Category: Trail Tuesday, UncategorizedTags: adventure, backpacking, camping, epic social adventures, friends, hike missouri, hiking, missouri, nature, opt outside, outdoors, travel, weekend, weekend warriors